29 January 2014

Academic leave

I thought i'd make a little post about what I'm getting up to this February, academically speaking. For the block of February (if you need it, here's a refresher on what the block plan is) i am taking a class through the Academy of Classical Oriental Sciences (ACOS), which means I have to take an Academic Leave from Quest.

There was a lot of stress and drama (Quest doesn't define the rules very well, and that gets confusing for students and faculty) but I finally got my leave approved, my tuition and housing fees credited back to my account, and my class through ACOS approved as a transfer credit. Getting this class approved for a transfer credit is an accomplishment, Quest is very strict about what can be transferred towards your degree.

Now the class i'm taking, it's titled Introduction to Chinese Medicinal Substances.
The learning objectives are as follows:
  • Origins of Chinese herbology,
  • General botany applied to herbs,
  • Habitat, collection, cultivation techniques,
  • Processing of herbs,
  • Herbal properties: four qi, five tastes, channel tropism, etc.
  • Methods of consumption,
  • Dosage and toxicity,
  • Combining of herbs.

The course is broken down into 15 lessons, with reading, assignments, and a quiz that accompanies each lesson. These lessons are supposed to be done each week, starting in January and ending in April. There are no fixed dates except the end date in April. Each assignment and quiz is graded. 
My plan, or more accurately said, my Quest Mentor Ryan's plan is for me to complete the 15 lessons within one month. I am a little apprehensive; I hoped to get a job, move in with as little hurry and stress as possible, and try and make some new friends/explore the city of Vancouver. But it seems i will only be exploring the local coffee shops with free wifi. Ah well, i am sure the fast pace and rigor of Quest's block system has prepared me for this.
 The herb kit for my class, how cool is this?!


The little mystery plant i had to grow (i've got to make some observations of it in "week 9")

I am excited about the class- i'll keep you posted on progress and maybe snippets of what i'm learning if you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment