1 March 2014

In retrospect: B.C., Oregon & California

During the summer of 2013, Hunter and I lived on Quest's campus and worked for different university departments. We loved our roommates, the Squamish sun (when it appeared), and our leisure time but we still itched to get away and explore someplace new. Preferably some place that had a beach + the ocean. We booked our vacation days and went on a road trip to Nelson, B.C. then down the Oregon and California coasts.

Along the coasts we camped in our little tent in beautiful state parks and, if we were really desperate, we would sleep in the back of the subaru. One night we couldn't get a spot at a park and decided to splurge on a beach-side hotel room in Manzanita, Oregon. Definitely worth it, it was adorable and the town had a great beach and a charming vibe. Our trip flew by, but we will definitely be camping on the West Coast again.
 
The trip tested us as functional road-tripping partners. I was still hobbling around on my fractured foot and Hunter's back gave him serious grief if we drove for too long. We didn't make solid plans before we left which sometimes led to spontaneous discoveries (like the best coffee, pie, breakfast, pottery, and fries along the coast) but it also made us anxious and irritable when we suddenly had to change plans. It made me appreciate the patience Hunter has, and it made me try and be more accepting and present. What frustrated me wasn't worth the energy and time, something i am slowly learning.

 A fancy dinner with my family in Nelson

Nelson B.C., my hometown

Packing up the car

A delicious dinner of leftovers at our campsite in the Red Woods

 Awe inspiring trees, Avenue of the Giants, CA

A Cafe in Mendocino County, CA
 
The Green Salmon Cafe, OR
It was so cold and I didn't pack warm socks (I don't know what I was thinking!) 
so we had to stop at a Target and buy something to keep my poor legs warm.



 My handsome love, on the beach in Manzanita, OR


 Trying to look presentable while battling gale force winds


 I thought I packed smart for this trip: one small duffel, a few dresses and sweaters, sandals and vans. But I was wrong, I wore about three outfits the whole trip, and what I really needed was a pair of pants (dresses get cold and awkward when it's windy, which it always is), some good layering tops for the temperature change between day and evening/night, and lots of wool socks. Hunter packed pants, t-shirts, a hoodie, and most importantly socks! Next time I'll follow his example.

Have you ever traveled along the Northwest coast? What were your favourite spots to stay/eat/explore? Do you have packing tricks you've learned the hard way?

3 comments:

  1. Looks agreat trip

    Gramps is the best packer of cars going camping. Manages so much in a small space.

    Being Scottish we're used to all weathers in a day. Layering is the best. T shirts, cardi ,trousers and one skirt.

    Comfy shoes and of course. A scarf/pashmina.

    We used to camp alot in France,but my knees and back don't do airbeds any more.

    We're off to France inMay. Picking up wine in the Chablis area. Taking a house and going with Auntie K and gang

    Mexico sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gramps is the best packer in the world. We drove down the Oregon coast about 8 years ago, very pretty but very cold and foggy/ cold and windy on the beach. You guys surfed on your blow up crocodiles. Remember the park ranger presentation about banana slugs in the Redwoods? Warm socks are of paramount importance when camping, really Anna, haven't you been on enough camping trips to know that? Tsk tsk.
    Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma, that trip sounds like perfection! One day i'll be part of the France-bound wine gang too :)

    Hah, yeah Mamma. I remember that trip well. One of the reasons the Pacific Northwest was our top choice for a road-trip. Obviously i was a little over optimistic about the possibility of a tan to go with my mosquito bites.

    ReplyDelete