21 March 2014

sick days

I haven't had a single flu, cold, virus or other sickness this whole winter and I was so proud of my immune system until last week. When you're working with toddlers it is easy to be contaminated with their sneezes, kisses, and little hands covered in saliva baring all sorts of lovely bacteria. The second day of work i woke up with an ominously sore throat. I stuffed myself with all the remedies i had in the house but i still got hit with a flu.

That first Friday i came home ready to throw myself into bed. Hunter had other plans, plans that involved delicious soup. He bought this Old Fashioned Beef Barley soup mix and the ground beef from our local butcher's, and had it slowly simmering on the stove when i walked through the door. I was so happy he found an equally comforting alternative to chicken noodle soup since i've found out i'm allergic to chicken.

The soup mix, Mitchell's, is made on The Island from local and organic ingredients. It's wildly popular in this area and i can see why. It was delicious and exactly what my tired body needed. Thank you Aunty K and family, I'm sure it tasted better because it was cooked in my gorgeous dutch oven!

Since then we've bought three more mixes (the butcher was having a sale): Fully Loaded Potato soup, Ginger Coconut Dahl, and West Coast Seafood Chowder. I'm excited for a rainy day when we can try them!







We drank obscene amounts of ginger, honey, lemon hot water and i was better in three days! Equal parts fresh chopped ginger, honey and freshly squeezed lemon juice in hot water and repeat until you're better. It also helps to have a warm body to snuggle and a good tv show/movies to watch.

I also tried the wet sock treatment on my landlord's recommendation and even though it felt weird the first night it wasn't that bad and i think it helped me speed through my flu. If you're interested, google it and you'll find lots of info! Socks need to be at least 90% cotton and wool, respectively. My cold socks weren't dripping wet and i didn't use any essential oils, but it seemed to help and my bed was completely dry the next morning.

What does your family do when someone's sick? Secret home remedies? Go-to cough syrup brands?
I hope you're all staying healthy.
xoxo, a+h

5 comments:

  1. Sounds so Scottish. Soup is a bit like Scotch Broth barley and lots of root veg.
    As a child I had lots of sore throats. Used to have anylon stocking, dipped in hot water and wrung out.wrapped round my neck with a woolen scarf on top. Always seemed to work. Also, the ultmate treat. Small pieces of butter dipped in sugar. So soothing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it would be Scottish inspired soup that made me feel better, it's in my blood after all :P (bad joke. thank you Grandpa for those genes too)
    Mmm, scarves are a must when you're feeling sick!
    I never would of thought of the butter trick, crazy! I'll have to try it next time i get sick, which hopefully wont be for a long time :)
    Hope you and Grandpa are happy and healthy right now though. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna,
    i am checking to see if I can post. i have tried a couple times and not seen them appear - third time lucky perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, darn. I guess that is going to be what my responses look like. There is an explanation to why I show up as a dog named Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia, you are crazy! I'm happy you can comment though, this blog has been missing your quippy remarks.

      Delete