18 March 2014

watch: tv shows

Hunter's never been a big tv show watcher but i looove them. Maybe a little too much. It started out in middle school and highschool when my girlfriends and i would get together, snuggle under some blankets, snack on crackers 'n cheese or dulce de leche ice cream and watch shows like Gilmore Girls and Friends. Since then i've watched many shows but only really loved a few.
When Hunter and i moved to our little place, Hunter brought his old tv from home. Our living room is too small and so we've tucked it in a corner of our bedroom. I felt like that location is perfect for tv show viewing and began my hunt for our first tv show as a couple! We've watched shows together before (Game of Thrones, the Wire, Freaks and Geeks, etc) but i wanted something new that we could start together. And preferably something on Netflix.

We settled on House of Cards.


My first impression was not good. I hate when characters break the fourth wall and talk directly at you. It's so annoying, i feel like it's what little kid shows do to get the children to participate in the action, and it seems like a cheap way to get the audience invested in the show or to give them knowledge that would be awkward to put into character dialogue. Anyways, the main character is the only one who does it, and he never stops doing it but it sort of gets more tolerable. It's a dramatic, political show. The main character is evil, but the show is set up (Breaking Bad style) so that you want to empathize with him. My favourite character is his right-hand man. If your looking for a grown up drama that gets it's edge from something other than sex I'd recommend this series (i think that sentence will make sense if you watch it. Obviously there is still some sex involved in the show but it isn't a main theme at all and that was refreshing to me). Hunter and i enjoyed curling up together after our separate long days and trying to figure out what crazy power-play Francis was going to pull off next. Currently there are two seasons on Netlfix with the third season is out late next year.


We gobbled up House of Card, so to speak, and had to find a new show to accompany our evening wind-down routine.  A few years ago I was introduced to Twin Peaks, the fantastic genre-bending tv show by Lynch and Frost. I watched both seasons with my girlfriends, and later with my sister. I've talked about it a lot but didn't think to ask if Hunter would like to watch it. He brought it up, and i was eager to watch it again. I recommend it to everyone. It's weird, but give it an earnest try and you may end up joining the cult following.

What tv shows do you enjoy watching, if you watch any?


No comments:

Post a Comment