28 March 2014

settling, finding work

I asked Hunter what he wanted to say about finding work and working in Vancouver and here is what he wrote.

"Working as a door-to-door salesperson for Unicef seemed like a great opportunity at first. I was a couple weeks in when I realized it wasn't my cup of tea. I felt bad going to people's homes during "prime" hours when family's would gather around their tables and indulge in a meal together. Don't get me wrong, Unicef does a damn good job helping children in need around the world, but a large portion of that money goes to us, the door-to-door's. In my third week I was sent to North Vancouver to do the week's work. Long story short: I had a discourse with an older fella named John on the front steps of his home. For a good twenty minutes we went back and forth. John concluded with, "Son, you can do better than this, you really can." That was the last house I pitched to.

The very next day I was offered a job at 1-800-GOT-JUNK. I'll be working in their call center (no cold calling). The Junktion (that's what they call their office) had good vibes, and everyone was smiling and seemed to be enjoying themselves at work. I start the 1st of April."

Relaxing at home, not expecting a photo- hence the horrible mix of burgundy sweats, red shirt, and purple scarf!


Before i even began packing my things to move to Vancouver, i joined this site offhandedly (i.e. I was probably procrastinating). I was a little worried about finding "meaningful" -or at least enjoyable- work once in Vancity, and i felt like a skill i could always fall back on was babysitting (thank you siblings for the lifelong training!).

I didn't think the site would actually get me a job, but soon i was receiving frequent messages from parents asking me for an interview. I was surprised, but i didn't agree to meet any of the parents because i hadn't found the right fit.
About a month ago i received a message from a mother and father looking for a nanny for their 1-year old daughter. They said they lived right near my neighborhood, needed childcare 30 hours a week (in three day increments) and wanted to meet me. Everything seemed to fall into place, and now i bike to their house and care for their adorable little girl!

I am happy with my work, and Hunter feels optimistic about his new job.

I'd love to hear about enjoyable or horrible jobs you've all had/have!! Leave us a comment, we appreciate each one. Xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and you and your partner remind me so much of me and mine a few years ago. I actually am just wrapping up a 1.5 year job nannying. Nice to find you and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and you and your partner remind me so much of me and mine a few years ago. I actually am just wrapping up a 1.5 year job nannying. Nice to find you and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete