9 February 2014

Brussel sprouts w/ sweet chilli sauce

On Tuesday night, Hunter and I decided to have stir-fry, vermicelli noodles, and roasted brussels sprouts (i looked it up, it's got an extra s on the end. Weird). The wok we were using was very finicky and less of a wok and more of a slow cooker, so we just had rice noodles with brussels sprouts and it was DELICIOUS.
I found a recipe for brussels sprouts with sweet chilli sauce that i wanted to try but realized around 7pm that we didn't have sweet chilli sauce. We do live in a city now and could have gone and bought some, but my bike's front light is dead and it is glacial temperatures outside so i improvised.





I used:
  brussels sprouts
  olive oil
~
  garlic
  fresh ginger
  soy sauce
  fish sauce
  brown sugar
  red wine vinegar
  coconut oil
  chilli flakes
~
  extra firm tofu
  coconut and olive oil
~
  vermicelli noodles
  sesame oil

I did:
Heat the oven to 400, cut the ends off sprouts, cut in half and wash. Spread evenly in baking tray and coat generously with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until almost at your desired tenderness. Remove from oven and coat with sauce. Then return to the oven and bake for a few more minutes. I put them back in the oven, turned it off, and left them in there for about 7 more minutes and they were perfectly tender without being mushy.

For the sauce: mixed together garlic, ginger, soy & fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, melted coconut oil and chilli flakes and set aside to "marinate" together while the sprouts baked.

For the tofu: cut into whatever shape you like, cook in hot wok with some oil, Asian Nori Salt, and pepper until desired crispy-ness. Set aside.

For the noodles: boiled water with some salt. Put the noodles in the bowl you will serve them in (i used a ceramic bowl), and then cover them in boiling water. Stirred them with a fork every minute or so, tasting the noodles for texture. Right before they are the perfect tender/crunchy combo for you (about three minutes for me), drained them in the sink, run a little cold water over them, and return to the warm bowl. Added a bit of sesame oil and toss.

Serve the brussel sprouts over the noodles as soon as they are out of the oven, preferably with a nice crisp beer!
My plan was to eat a whole box of Anna's ginger thins with a cup of tea after dinner, but this was so good and i eat so much i didn't even have room for cookies! I had them this morning though...

The next day we reheated the leftovers by sauteing (no microwave!) with a little extra coconut oil and soy sauce and it was as fantastic as i remembered it.

Do you have a favourite brussel sprouts recipe? I can't get enough of the little veggies lately and I'd love to try new recipes!


6 comments:

  1. I am going to make this tomorrow. I love brussel sprouts. Thanks for sharing. I want to share a raw lemon square recipe i made when Kate was here. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did they turn out?? We were on a serious brussels sprouts phase a while back, so cheap and tasty and green!
      I'd love to have that recipe! You should email it to me, i'll try it, and post how it went on here?

      Delete
  2. I bought some brussels sprouts yesterday so I can try this. Although I do have sweet chili sauce in the fridge so may get lazy and use that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes really lazy! Didn't even make them! But I have more Brussels sprouts and am determined to make them tonight. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
    2. How were they??

      I've been thinking of ways to change up my diet now that summer has arrived. I'm craving kale salads. Did you ever make a massaged kale salad that i enjoyed? I know i had a really good one somewhere but i can't remember who made it!

      Delete